May 26, 2021
As we prepare for reopening The Pershing Square Signature Center to audiences for The Watering Hole, we assure you the safety of you and our staff remain a top priority. The following is a summary of our COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols for June 2021.
All guidelines and protocols are subject to change as CDC, state and city guidelines develop. Any changes to guidelines from time of purchase will be communicated by email to all ticket holders. If you have any further questions about our health and safety guidelines and protocols, please contact us at email@example.com.
Masks & Physical Distancing
- Masks are required at all times for all guests and staff. Guests who arrive without a mask will be provided one. Those who refuse to wear a mask to enter will not be admitted.
- Physical distancing of a minimum of 6 ft. will be enforced at all times throughout all locations of The Pershing Square Signature Center.
Food and drinks will not be available, and we discourage bringing food or drinks as they require removal of mask. If a medical exemption is needed, there will be a designated location for guests to remove their mask for that purpose.
Cleaning & Sanitation
- Hand sanitizer will be available upon entry and throughout the space for all guests and staff.
- There will be routine cleaning and sanitation throughout the day between each event block (approximately every 2 hours) for surfaces and locations with high traffic and human contact.
COVID-19 Screening & Contact Tracing
- All guests must complete a COVID-19 Screening within 72 hours of entry. Guests who have not completed the screening upon arrival will be asked to complete it and show proof of confirmation before proceeding.
- There will be a required temperature check via a contactless body temperature check station. Guests whose temperature check results are at or above that which is considered a fever by CDC standards will be asked to reschedule their ticket for another date and will be required to complete the screening and temperature check again at such time.
Air Filtration Systems & Ventilation
- The building now has improved air circulation and increased outdoor air intake per ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers).
- Hospital grade filter replacements are conducted on a re-occurring basis per CDC commercial building guidelines.
- There is a regular cleaning and disinfecting of AC evaporator coils in HVAC units.
Vaccination & COVID-19 Testing
- At this time, we are not requiring proof of vaccination and/or negative test results for guests, as we want to maintain equitable access for audiences.
- Staff who are not vaccinated are required to obtain proof of a negative COVID-19 test on a regular basis.
October 20, 2020
There is a lot of uncertainty about how and when theatres will be able to reopen and welcome back audiences. We want to give you a sense of what we are doing proactively to plan for the safety of our community when we can again reunite at The Pershing Square Signature Center.
We’ve formed a re-entry task force dedicated to the safety of our return, who continue to stay apprised of government-regulated precautions and are doing field research on how we can make your experience back at the theater safe.
Despite these challenging times, Signature is committed to support our artists and become a more anti-racist, equitable and inclusive theatre. We are determined to return stronger than before, and every day we are looking for more opportunities to make this happen.
Standards of Safety
- We will require mask wearing of all who enter The Pershing Square Signature Center. Those who do not have a mask will be provided one.
- We will have hand sanitizer and disinfection stations at the front entrance and in multiple locations throughout our public spaces.
- If temperature checks are required at the time of reopening, they will be conducted upon entry.
- We will adhere to governmental capacity restrictions applicable at the time we reopen.
- All lines and tables will be marked for physical distancing.
- Our cleaning team will use enhanced cleaning procedures, products, and equipment in line with CDC and EPA guidelines. There will be more frequent cleaning and disinfection of high touch areas throughout the building.
Seating Capacity & Distance
We continue to explore the best possible options for our initial phases of reopening. When further guidance is provided by the government and health professionals, we will incorporate those restrictions and/or guidance into our planning. Please know that we are weighing the most suitable options to welcome you back safely. Much will change, but our artists and audiences will continue to be at the forefront of our minds.
We continue to work with our artists and their schedules, which have all been upended by the pandemic. While we don’t have any dates to share at this moment, we are diligently planning and fully committed to our playwrights who call Signature their artistic home. We are also in conversation with our resident artists and others about SigSpace programming both virtually and in the Center; together we are reimagining use of our lobby space in safe and physically distanced ways.
Health & Safety Guidance Information
We follow trusted health and science experts for guidance on how we will safely reopen the Center, which among many include the Center for Disease and Control, World Health Organization, the City of New York, the Broadway League and Off-Broadway League.
April 2, 2020
Dear Signature Community,
We are devoted to our artists and audiences, and we want to share our plans to stay connected through these challenging and uncertain times. It’s at moments like these that values are most sorely tested, and we remain focused on what is important to Signature now more than ever, with you by our side.
Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 and Confederates
We’re not alone in having to delay productions, but it’s still disappointing to postpone Anna Deavere Smith's Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992
and Dominique Morisseau's Confederates
. We are committed to producing these plays, the second in the ongoing residencies of Dominique, also a Signature board member, and Anna, the artistic honoree at our now-cancelled Gala. We’ll be sharing more in the coming weeks about how we'll stay connected with these two remarkably talented artists.
The Pershing Square Signature Center
The Center, our bustling hub of collision among artists and audiences, is closed until further notice, which is heartbreaking for us. We look forward to reopening and renewing the vital human connections at the center of theatre. Through the generosity of our donors, including The Pershing Square Foundation, the Lead Sponsor of the Signature Ticket Initiative, we'll continue to offer accessibly priced, subsidized tickets. When you’re ready to return, you can do so affordably.
We are thrilled to announce the launch of SigSpace
—a new program that activates our unique lobby space with artistically-anchored programming—originally scheduled for the fall, now launching online! Since you can’t come to us, we’re bringing Signature and the Center to you. Stay tuned for updates on what you’ll be seeing and how you can be a part of SigSpace alongside our writers and artists.
We commit to our resident writers by producing a body of their work over the course of their residencies and by developing their new plays towards production. This commitment remains as strong as ever. Through Signature’s writing residencies, we offer our resident playwrights an ongoing artistic home and share their work with our audiences over several seasons.
While everything around us is rapidly changing, we will maintain this artistic home for us all—and we cannot wait to welcome you back! Until then, if you are able, we hope you will consider making a donation
to help us support writers and their work and provide a gathering place for the community.
We cannot thank you enough for keeping us in mind amidst the uncertainty that we’re all facing, and for the support and generosity we’ve already seen. You are on our minds. We hope that you and those close to you are staying safe and healthy. Life will not be the same, but we know that theatre, and Signature, will remain as vital and welcoming as ever when we return.
Paige Evans, Artistic Director
Harold Wolpert, Executive Director