Signature Theatre, one of New York’s leading Off-Broadway theatres, is seeking an Artistic Fellow for the 2021-2022 season. The Artistic Fellow is a part time, seasonal member of Signature’s artistic team. Working closely with Signature staff and Signature’s contracted casting director, the Artistic Fellow will provide administrative, creative, and logistical support. The fellow will work directly with all members of Signature’s artistic team and report to the Manager of Artistic and Education Projects.
Applications will be accepted through Monday, December 13th.
This position will begin early January 2022 and end September 2nd, 2022.
Founded in 1991, Signature Theatre celebrates playwrights and gives them an artistic home, producing six to eight productions annually. In 2005, Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing affordable tickets to all of its productions. In 2012, Signature opened the Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices.
Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field and aligning with Signature Theatre’s institutional goals and priorities focused on playwrights, community and access are strongly encouraged to apply.
Signature is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility and welcomes candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for underrepresented communities.
All employees of Signature Theatre have a responsibility to be active in the institution's continued commitment to its Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility values and goals. Please read our commitment to creating a theatre focused on EDIA.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Institutional Giving, this mid-level position supports all aspects of institutional fundraising (foundation, corporate, and government) and Board relations.
- Assist Signature’s artistic team on an as needed basis for ongoing artistic and production support for Signature’s 2021-2022 season
- Contribute to and manage various artistic department databases and ongoing special projects
- Collaborate with artistic staff members on script coverage for various plays in consideration for production at Signature
- Participate in ongoing conversations regarding Signature’s future artistic programming and season planning
- Support ticketing and funder crediting for Institutional donors
- Support the Assistant Director, Institutional Giving in maintaining Institutional donor recognition and benefit fulfillment company-wide
- Opportunities to engage with and support the development of new Signature programs including but not limited to special artistic events, new play development and educational opportunities per the fellow’s interest
- Assorted administrative tasks to help support the artistic department
- Serve as an in-house liaison with Signature’s main casting director, Caparelliotis Casting, and other casting directors engaged for specific Signature projects
- Track all casting correspondence and help to schedule casting sessions, auditions, and callbacks
- Help to assemble casting materials and coordinate drafting of casting notices and/or character and play descriptions
- Attend casting sessions regularly
We are looking for someone who possesses:
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Enthusiasm for theatre and interest in a creative arts career with a focus on artistic producing and casting
- A passion for working with and supporting artists
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to oversee and negotiate multiple simultaneous projects
Compensation and Additional Resources
$18/hr for up to 30 hours of work a week. Exact hours and schedule will be worked out between the department and fellow upon hiring
Additional benefits include:
- A play-going stipend to use for theatre tickets
- A monthly unlimited MetroCard, provided by Signature
Mentorship opportunities including but not limited to:
- A fellowship-long mentor within Signature chosen by the fellow to shadow and meet with regularly
- Special meetings with department heads and other staff members
- Opportunities for group and one-on-one meetings with Signature artists
- Opportunities to shadow Signature’s contracted casting director on non-Signature casting projects
- Access to industry conferences, roundtables, and networking events
Familiarize yourself with Signature’s artists, programming, staff, and mission, available on our website
- Think through artists and works that excite you – either ones you have seen, heard, or read
- Think through your personal strengths and areas where you are looking to grow your knowledge further through an opportunity like this fellowship
Please attach a resume and your answers to the three questions below to email@example.com. Please type ARTISTIC FELLOW in the subject line. Your response to each question is limited to 250 words.
- Why are you interested in working at Signature in the Artistic Department? What skills and experiences will you bring to this role? What skills and experiences are you hoping to gain upon completing the fellowship?
- Please share details of a challenging moment you have had during a moment of collaboration. How did you handle the challenge, and what did you learn from the experience?
- What was an experience that shaped your views about theatre and has inspired your interest in working in the arts?
Signature’s fellowship program requires no previous work or educational experience for participation. Fellowship selection will be based on demonstrable interest and commitment to a career in the arts with an ability to articulate how a fellowship at Signature will help the fellow learn and grow into the future leader they would like to become.
Resumes should focus on meaningful experiences and outline responsibilities and achievements. They can include professional, academic and/or personal pursuits. Resumes should not exceed one page.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, affectional preference, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, disability, genetic predisposition, age, military, or veteran status, marital or familial status, or any other protected characteristic, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
No phone calls, please.